Thursday, May 27, 2010

reading

Here is what I envision for my blog and why I named it random - I want to post thoughts, quotes, passages from books, poetry, trivia, etc. whatever is on my mind. I have a goal to post everyday but know myself better than that so yet another way it will be random. I'm sure I will post 4 - 5 times per week.

I love, love, love to read and I devour words. Perhaps if I analyze why I want to start writing a blog this is at the crux of it all. I am educated and inspired by everything I read. I have loved reading probably since my Mom started reading to me. It is one of my chief goals with my kids to hopefully encourage them to love reading as I can't imagine how lifeless and empty my life would be without words. It always baffles me if I meet someone that says they never or rarely read literature. I know most people have to read for school, work etc. I'm talking about reading during your leisure time when you have a choice. My kids know how much I love to read as my nose is in a book every second I can get away with it - yes I feel guilty sometimes - me at the park on a blanket on the grass reading a book while they play on the playground but yes I will stop to push them on the swing. I read fiction and non-fiction - children and young adult books, biographies, classics, Oprah bookclub choices, poetry, self-improvement - I will work and post my favorite 100 books - I know that I sent a list to my sister once - I will see if I can dig it up and go from there - I always hate starting from scratch if I have put any time into it.

I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new after all. ~Abraham Lincoln


No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich M

No comments:

Post a Comment